Before you begin, make sure your PC or Mac meets the system requirements.
Office for home Some Office for home products come with a product key. If yours did, before installing Office for the first time, sign in with an existing or new Microsoft account and enter your product key* at office.com/setup. Redeeming your key is what links your account with Office so you only have to do this once. Already did this? Go to Step 1.
Office for business If your Office for business subscription plan includes the desktop version of the Office apps you won’t see an option to install it unless someone in your organization assigned a license to you. Learn how to check this in What Office 365 product or license do I have? Office 365 admins responsible for this, see Assign licenses to users.
Note: *Some versions of Office don’t have an associated Microsoft account, or work or school account, or you may need to redeem your product key in a different way. For Office Professional Plus 2019, Office Standard 2019, or a stand-alone app such as Word 2019 or Project 2019 the steps to install Office depend if you got Office through the following:
Microsoft HUP: You bought Office for personal use through your company and have a product key, see Install Office through HUP.
Volume license versions: IT departments might use a different method to install Office for their organization. Talk to your IT department to install help.
Third-party seller: You bought Office from a third-party and you’re having problems with the product key.
SIGN IN AND INSTALL OFFICE
- Go to www.office.com and if you’re not already signed in, select Sign in.Note: If you bought Office for personal use through your company’s Microsoft HUP benefit, you may not be able to sign in here. Find installation help at Install Office through HUP.
- Sign in with the account you associated with this version of Office.Tip: Depending how you got Office, this account can be a Microsoft account or work or school account. If you forgot your account details, see I forgot the account I use with Office.
- On the Office home page, do the following depending on your version of Office.Select Install Office > Install if you signed in with a Microsoft account.Select Install Office Apps > Office 2016 if you signed in with a work or school account. (Note: The link may say Office 2016, however Office will install the most up-to-date version of the Office apps as set by your Office 365 admin.)This begins the download of Office. Follow the prompts on your screen to complete the install.
Don’t see an install option after signing in? There could be an issue with your account. Select Need help? from above and review the issues listed in the section Account questions.
- Once the download has completed, open Finder, go to Downloads, and double-click Microsoft Office installer.pkgfile (the name might vary slightly).Tip: If you see an error that says the Microsoft Office installer.pkg can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer, wait 10 seconds and move the downloaded file to your desktop. Hold Control+ click the file to launch the installer.
- On the first installation screen, select Continue to begin the installation process.
- Review the software license agreement, and then click Continue.
- Select Agree to agree to the terms of the software license agreement.
- Choose how you want to install Office and click Continue.
- Review the disk space requirements or change your install location, and then click Install.Note: If you want to only install specific Office apps and not the entire suite, click the Customize button and uncheck the programs you don’t want.
- Enter your Mac login password, if prompted, and then click Install Software. (This is the password that you use to log in to your Mac.)
- The software begins to install. Click Close when the installation is finished. If Office installation fails, see What to try if you can’t install or activate Office for Mac.
LAUNCH AN OFFICE FOR MAC APP AND START THE ACTIVATION PROCESS
- Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock to display all of your apps.
- Click the Microsoft Word icon in the Launchpad.
- The What’s New window opens automatically when you launch Word. Click Get Started to start activating. If you need help activating Office, see Activate Office for Mac. If Office activation fails, see What to try if you can’t install or activate Office for Mac.
How do I pin the Office app icons to the dock?
- Go to Finder > Applications and open the Office app you want.
- In the Dock, Control+click or right-click the app icon and choose Options > Keep in Dock.
Can I install Office on my iPhone or iPad?